Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Lesson Plan Binder

Has anyone else gotten their back to school information... superintendent welcome back letter, back to school itinerary, scheduled meetings?  I got mine last week and that's when it really hit me..... school is about to start!!  Of course I have been working on things at home, but man, I need to get into my classroom!  I keep reading all these posts about teachers getting into their rooms and decorating.  I need to decorate, organize and start planning out back to school activities!  The main excuses reasons for not getting into my classroom are 1) I live about 40 minutes from my school building WITHOUT traffic, ughh, and 2) the carpet in my classroom is supposed to be getting replaced, so I can't do too much before that happens, and no one knows when that'll get done!

One of the things I have been working on at home is my Lesson Plan Binder.  I've always been known to be pretty well organized and that's definitely a trait I brought into the classroom.  I mean, I don't have a label and place for EVERYTHING, but I'm pretty organized and I like to have a plan.  I want to share how I keep my lessons and all that jazz organized.  The past four years I had a binder for just my lesson plans, then I had my curriculum binder, and my calendars with important dates on the wall by my teacher table, and extra planning guides shoved in my lesson plans.  Well this year, I want everything, or at least everything needed for lessons and planning, in one place.

Introducing my new Lesson Plan Binder:

Kinda plain... but it works for me!


Don't mind my crinkled tab - at least I'm re-using!

The sections in my binder are:

Schedule
Daily Lesson Plans
Year-Long Planning Guide
Calendars
Curriculum

Alrighty, I'll show you some pictures of the sections and the rundown of what, how, and why.  Be sure to click on the pictures if you want to see a bigger version.


*Table of Contents - pretty self-explanatory, but I also like to have that in there in case there's a sub or other staff member in charge of my class.




*Schedule - This is the schedule that I have laid out so far for next year.  There are some blank spots because it's my first time teaching second grade and I may still be adding/moving things around.  I used to do just a daily schedule and it was the same each day.  But at my new school, we have a lot of different special classes (Music, Art, Computers, Library, Spanish) and we have PE every day.  So after seeing a layout like this from a first grade team member last year, I fell in love with the organization of it and made one for myself.  It shows exactly which special class we go to each day.




* Lesson Plans - This is where I keep my... you guessed it!  Lesson plans!  Don't judge me, I told you I was organized and maybe a bit meticulous.  I use a two-page spread for each day's lesson plans.  I've found that a lot of people use a one-pager for each day or even two-pager for the entire week!  I don't know how they do it!  I've toyed around with trying a two-page spread per week, but let me tell you why I don't.  I am very detailed with my lessons.  I don't look at tomorrow's plans for Reading and just see "Just Right books," I want to remember the things to put on my anchor chart, the questions that I want to ask my students, etc.  My detailed lessons don't let me forget a thing!  Another reason.... remember when I said that I live 40 minutes from my school WITHOUT traffic?  Yeah, well when school starts, it'll take me about 50ish minutes... unless it rains or snows, then it could be an hour and a half!  Not fun!  So if I am late because of traffic or weather (which has happened) I have everything already laid out for whoever is in my room until I arrive.  The main reason I love my lesson plan layout is for substitutes.  If I get sick (I had strep throat four times in five months one year!!) all of a sudden the night before or that morning, I don't have to drag my sick butt to school.... in traffic.... to write out lessons for the sub.  They are all there for them when they arrive.  I have been fortunate enough to also work with great team members and if there's a book that needs to be put out or a copy to be made for my sub, they get it done for me!



It's two pages
*Year-Long Planning Guide - This is something I started using last year.  Again, a team member showed me something similar to this with all the units they were planning for the year.  I tweaked it and made one for myself.  It allows me to see the whole year laid out.  This way I can be sure that I cover all my units and objectives.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes things change.  Like maybe I didn't have time to get to Questioning in December because of all the snow days.  Then I just move it to January.  Anytime I make a change, I print out a new copy and put it in my binder.  If you are a new teacher, I highly suggest using something like this if you don't already.




*Calendars - OK, so this section is for any/all calendars I may need for planning purposes.  In the picture you can see my district calendar.  I will also be adding our school calendar and student birthday calendar.  When I would sit and do lesson plans for the following week, I was always getting out different calendars to be sure I was planning for the fire drill, assembly or student birthday.  This way I have it all there in the same binder so I just flip to calendars and check it out!




*Curriculum - When I started at my new school district last year, they gave me a wonderful Curriculum Binder that included a list of curriculum materials for my grade level, mastery objectives, and the scope and sequence for each subject area.  Now, this might be changing with Common Core, but we'll get to that when we get to it!  Of course I still don't have mine for second grade next year, so I borrowed one of my new team member's Curriculum Binder.  For now, I just copied each subject area's mastery objectives and put them in the binder.  So when I'm planning lessons, I just flip to my objectives, check the specifics and plan my little heart out!


Whew!!!  Thanks for staying with me for this novel of a post.  I just wanted to be sure to include everything.  If you're looking to start some kind of Binder like this or want to revamp yours, be sure to check out all the ideas on Pinterest and fellow blogs.  Before I started mine, I looked at other teachers' ideas and then chose what I wanted to include and how I wanted to organize it.

If you have any questions about my Lesson Plan Binder, be sure to comment or email me and I will be glad to help you or answer questions!


18 comments:

  1. I love how organized you are, Cyndi!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Staying organized keeps me sane!

      Cyndi

      Delete
  2. You are just the 'Organised Queen', and I love it! I also am noticed for me systematic way of planning my teaching week out, and couldn't live any other way.
    Great idea to check out what others do then adapt it to your own teaching style.
    My only question is ... do you keep all you lesson plans for the day/week/year, or only for each term in the folder??? I tend to start afresh each term...

    ✿ Judith
    teaching with J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do just keep ALL my lesson plans from the whole year in my Binder. Maybe I could separate my quarters with a colored sheet or something. Thanks for reading!

      Cyndi

      Delete
  3. Great Binder! I made a binder after seeing some great ideas from other teachers. Excited to use it this year.

    Jessica
    Teach on a Limb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I'm excited to use mine this year too because it's a little different from previous years.

      Cyndi

      Delete
  4. This is so organized!! I love seeing others lesson plans! Thanks for sharing!

    ☼ Kate
    To The Square Inch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I like to see what other teachers do as well that's why I decided to share mine! Thanks for reading!

      Cyndi

      Delete
  5. You are definitely inspiring me to get more organized! :) That's definitely a goal this year. I do ok in the beginning and then stuff just literally starts piling up.

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's how is it for everyone! I do still have a small stash of stuff from the end of last year that I never got around to putting away!!

      Cyndi

      Delete
  6. I need to get that organized!! I love exactly how you have it laid out. Thanks for giving me some inspiration! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I never feel organized enough (although my colleagues would disagree....I'm a little OCD)! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Marianna
    delightfullydunn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being organized, but even when people tell me I am, I feel like things are still messy too!

      Cyndi

      Delete
  8. I love your ideas!! I use a binder too but mine is not as orgainized. I plan on changing that this year=)

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I can't wait to use it this next year!

      Cyndi

      Delete
  9. That is AMAZING...I REALLY need to get organized, but it kinda gives me an anxiety attack to say the word organized...I know, sounds dumb, but I am the most unorganized person on the face of the planet that it drives ME crazy...lol. Stop by and visit me and join my first ever linky about first day procedures!!
    -Abby
    Mrs. Saunders' Lovelies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your binder!! I always start out organized and end up crazed! I am going to try and be more like you. I have given you an award, drop by my blog to pick it up. :)

    - Vicky
    http://themadnessthatiskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great binder! Looks like you are ready to go for the school year. I have an award for you. Stop on by and pick it up:)
    Kelly
    Kelly Teach

    ReplyDelete