Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Treasure Maps.. Argh!

We completed our Map unit in the Fall, and yes, I'm just now getting around to posting about it.  During our Map unit we did several different activities.  Each student made an On The Map book that we completed together to discuss our classroom, school, city, state, country, continent, and planet.  I also assigned students to complete a Map Your Neighborhood project as homework.  I forgot to take pictures of this but they came out really cute!  And... we made treasure maps!

Before we got started on our treasure maps, we discussed natural features vs. manmade features.  We also read the book The Day I Became A Pirate.  Then we got started on our treasure maps.  First we created a chart to list what needed to be included, like a title, compass rose, and a mixture of natural and manmade features.  I posted examples of treasure maps I found online onto our whiteboard.  For the actual maps, I cut apart brown paper sacks.  Then the students got to work!  When they were finished, they crumpled up their map to make it look like it was old... I'm pretty sure that was their favorite part!  Here are some of my students' treasure maps.







Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment