Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

Tarra and Bella - Friendship Read Aloud

So I was really planning on posting about Curriculum Night since it is tomorrow for my district.  But of course, I forgot my camera and wasn't able to take pictures of the activity my students did to prepare for it.  So I will push that aside and post about it in the next few days.

But I think I owe you all a post, anyhow.  Today I read Tarra & Bella to my students.



 It was kind of just a spur of the moment read aloud, although we are talking about friends and friendships in class with it being the beginning of the year.  A friend I used to teach with gave me the book as a gift a few years ago and I can't believe I had never heard of it before.  It's such a CUTE book and it's a true story!  It's the story of an elephant and a dog that are best friends!  How adorable, right?!  When I showed my students the cover, they asked if it was a true story and when I said yes, they were amazed and couldn't wait to hear it.  When I read it to them, there were even some "awe's."  After we read it, I showed them the video of the story that was aired on CBS News.  It's basically the same as the book, but the students loved actually seeing the elephant and dog in the video.


Check out the video here!

Such a cute story!  The dog has actually died since the book and video came out.  It's included in the link above.  I just kept that from my kiddos, I didn't want them getting sad!  If you haven't read it... you need to!


Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I'm not even going to lie... When Bella died last year, I cried like a baby! No joke! It is such a touching friendship. I need to buy that book! Thanks for telling me about it! :)

    Leslie
    Miss R's Room

    ReplyDelete
  2. My co-blogger Emily posted about this book a few weeks ago. I have never read it before her post, but it sounds like a great story. Thanks for sharing. :)

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blog with Antoinette. I LOVE this story. I watched both videos with the kids. On the video where Bella died, I had to sit in the back of the room and not listen, so I wouldn't cry! The kids were understanding. We also read, Knut. It's about a polar bear born at a zoo. (He died suddenly, too.)
      This genre of books is sounding depressing, although it is anything but sad.
      EmilyK

      Delete
  3. I knew the story because we live close to the elephant sanctuary, but I didn't know about the book! I can't wait to read it to my kids. I'm a new follower!

    Greg
    Www.kindergartensmorgasboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete